So June 1, my grand departure day. I roll up to the airport with my suitcase, parents, passport, plane hair, ready to go, and.... find out my flight is canceled.
Apparently the Portuguese flight attendants were on strike. Apparently no one thought that this was information I needed to know. Apparently, just kidding I'm not going to use that word again. But this situation did mean two things:
- Some more QT chilling with my cat in suburban Massachusetts, and
- Being rescheduled on a flight that left a full 48 hours later, and included a 13 hour layover. What a delight.
I was mad about it, until at realized where the layover was. A full day on a Portuguese island, in the Azores. And man, it was great.
After exploring the adorable capital city of Ponta Delgada, a lovely taxi driver (/new best friend?) named Bruno drove me around the island for a couple of hours. Here are some fun facts:
- The Portuguese word for moss is musgo. But pronounced like mushga. So fun.
- Sao Miguel has like 7 different climate zones, including a mossy pine forest, volcanic rock formations, and a tropical jungle.
- Cows run shit on the Azores. Seriously, they are everywhere. Moo.
- One time David Guetta gave a concert at a lake there. It was a big deal. Bruno had a great time. Bruno was, in his own words, very drunk.